Welcome to Key Stage 1
Our Key Stage 1 group is made up of two Year 1 (Maple & Holly) and two Year 2 classes (Sycamore & Fir). Cross curricular topics are carefully planned to develop a curiosity and love of learning. Pupil’s needs are planned carefully, so there is coherence and coverage of all the subjects. Reading, writing, speaking and listening and mathematics form the foundation to our teaching, ensuring our pupils have the appropriate skills in place to support their learning in other subjects.
Lessons are highly interactive, making use of our facilities both within and outside of the classroom. Pupils are able to access both the infant and junior grounds enhancing our pupil’s experiences through our allotment, playing field and forest schools area. We also aim to provide plenty of ‘WOW’ experiences for the children through visits and visitors.
A creative and fun learning experience is delivered through different topics which are adapted depending on he interest of the children. Key Stage 1 aims to build upon work from Early Years.
Aims and objectives of our curriculum in Key Stage 1:
- Be independent thinkers/learners who are able to seek solutions creatively and cooperatively
- Develop links between their learning at home and in school
- Inspire an ‘enquiring’ mind and ask questions
- Read and write independently using knowledge of phonics
- Be confident enough to take risks in their learning
- Be able to listen and articulate responses showing consideration to others
- Linking ‘real life’ with their learning (building on previous experiences)
- Be aware of and recognise their own learning needs and be involved in planning future steps
- Develop a sense of self-esteem: be well-balanced and healthy individuals